View Single Post
Old May 18, 2019, 08:44 PM   #16
LineStretcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
Not to be a nitpicker here, but most Spanish model 1893 Mausers were made under license in Spain at the Oviedo arsenal, and are so marked. There are numerous documented issues with Spanish Mausers, mostly in the hardening of the receivers. Many 1893 Mauser rifles made by Loewe were sold around the world, notably in South America (these are NOT Spanish Mausers). Any Loewe marked Mauser is a real Mauser (Waffenfabrik Mauser was bought by Ludwig Loewe, later became Deutsche Waffen und Munitionfabriken (DWM) in 1897). Are they better than Oviedo Spanish Mausers? I like to think so, but I could be wrong. Calling a DWM or Loewe Mauser a Spanish Mauser is inaccurate.
My 1893 has it's writing in Osmanlica. The receiver has writing on the side but I have not been able to translate it. I read somewhere that the German manufacturers did that for the Turks but have not been able to find that article again. They are the same design as the Spanish version but I don't think they were made in Spain. Around 1933 they were all converted to 8mm either by a re-bore or barrel replacement. The rifling on mine is perfect and the reamer marks are still present in the chamber so mine probably went straight to storage after conversion. It has been fired but it was likely after it was imported.

Last edited by LineStretcher; May 18, 2019 at 09:05 PM.

Page generated in 0.03072 seconds with 8 queries