View Single Post
Old May 9, 2019, 06:35 PM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

No advice to offer but I can offer sympathy. Back in 1995 I moved into my late mother's house after she died. The house was built in 1950. It was a budget house, built for a WW2 returning veteran.

A couple/few years after I moved in, I began to experience random brownouts, mostly affecting only certain circuits in the house. I had an electrician look at it. He opened up the fuse panel (note: "fuse" panel, not "breaker" panel), poked around a bit, and said he didn't see anything wrong. Problems continued. Brought in another electrician, who also opened up the fuse panel and poked around. His diagnosis: The main disconnect was a big Bakelite square that you had to physically pull out of the panel. Inside the Bakelite box were two cartridge-type fuses. The Bakelite thingie had two copper (or brass) blades on the back that slid into and engaged copper (or brass) spring contacts to close the circuit. His theory was that, over the span of almost 50 years, the contacts in the panel had lost their springiness, so when the weather was warm and there was load on the panel, the contacts would start to open up, resulting in brownouts.

It obviously wasn't a safe condition, but there was no repair possible. I had the fuse panel replaced with a modern breaker panel. No more problems (knock on wood).

Is the entire house out of power now, or just the spare bedroom?

Page generated in 0.03256 seconds with 8 queries