View Single Post
Old February 23, 2016, 04:15 PM   #9
Idaho 45 Vaquero

Luckily my dad taught me to shoot. He was a competition shooter, and just about as good as anyone I've ever seen. I learned how to shoot on muzzle-loaders and .22's. At a young age I was shooting a heavy Anschutz target rifle. All the guns I shot when I was young had set triggers or very fine triggers. They also had very small fine sights. I got to be a very good patient precision shot. The Blackpowder target guns didn't recoil harshly and had set triggers. The heavy .22's I shot didn't recoil at all. I didn't hold them tight I just cradled them while holding my breath in an almost blissful peace and gently set off the extra light triggers.

When I got older I had a problem with recoil, larger sights, and unexceptional triggers. I managed to cure my troubles with rifles but still have trouble with handguns:

The biggest problem that I still have is large caliber light handguns. I can shoot a full size 1911 all right, but any 45acp lighter than that I find difficult to hit according to sights. On some guns such as large revolvers (45lc,.357mag, 44 mag) I manage to shoot good groups, but they are without fail higher on target than anyone firing the exact same gun. I have to adjust the sights for myself. On lightweight 9mms, the recoil is difficult to keep from limp-wristing on some compact polymer guns, so that's why I prefer steel full-size pistols. I'm gradually improving though, and have a hand squeeze thing that helps build wrist strength.

I'm also picky about triggers. The first time I shot a shot a normal hunting rifle (Marlin 336 30-30) I stood for a minute with my finger on the trigger. My friend asked what was wrong, I told him the gun won't go off. That was my first lesson that I had been absolutely trigger spoiled. Today, I've never gotten very good with striker fire pistols. It took a lot of effort to be able to handle an average single action trigger.

Big blocky sights especially on handguns are hard as well. I have to always remind myself that the same principles apply as with small sights.

I just keep trying to train & improve. I want to be able to handle any handgun as well as I can.

Page generated in 0.03702 seconds with 8 queries