View Single Post
Old November 22, 2013, 08:21 PM   #49
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Another situation that comes to mind is I may have had to shoot a bad guy in a sketchy part of town (perhaps a Walmart parking lot or gas station). The immediate danger is over. But the bad guy’s homies may show up shortly thereafter or a brazenly hostile crowd gathers before police (or backup) arrive. I’ve personally been in both of these kinds situations (although no shots were fired.)
Playing the scenario game is often a way to try to make the simple complex.

If there's an imminent threat then reloading should only be done if it's necessary and then it should be done as rapidly as possible. Dropping a mag, partially loaded or not, whether it's likely to break on impact or not, doesn't rate as a priority in the face of an imminent threat.

If there's no imminent threat then reload however you want-time is not an issue.

That's simple.

Trying to explain why it's critical to reload in the face of an imminent threat when you don't have to and then that it's also important to take more time than is really required in order to accomplish the procedure--now that's complicated.
Quote:
I don’t count the time it takes to stow the partially depleted magazine because it doesn’t count as down time for the gun.
Of course not. It would make it impossible to reasonably argue that they both take essentially the same amount of time if you did. But the fact remains that retaining the loaded mag is the entire point of doing a tac-reload as opposed to a speed reload.
Quote:
Whereas if I were in the middle of a Tactical Reload and danger suddenly appeared...
If you're in a situation where you reasonably expect danger to suddenly appear then you shouldn't be playing around with your gun, reloading it when you don't need to. You're WAY more likely to get shot because your gun isn't working when you need it than you are because you dumped a partially loaded mag that you could have otherwise retained.

BUT, if you DID choose to do something as ill-advised as to take your gun out of the fight when you didn't need to, you should reload as rapidly as possible rather than taking extra time to get your gun back up and running again.
Quote:
...when time and situation permit...
This is part of the contradiction.

If the situation is so critical that retaining half a magazine is actually likely to make the difference between life and death, then it's also so critical that taking your gun out of the fight when you don't have to doesn't make sense.

This is what I've been trying to get across. The doctrine of the tactical reload demands that there is a threat (so you can't waste even a single round) but that there's also not a threat (so it doesn't matter if you reload when you don't have to and take more time doing it than necessary) . It should be done when the situation is so critical that you can't afford to drop a partially loaded mag for fear of running out of ammunition before the scenario can be resolved and yet it's not critical and therefore you can afford to take the gun out of the fight even though it's not absolutely necessary to do so and then use up more time getting it running again than is actually required.

Justifying the tac-reload requires that contradictory circumstances exist simultaneously.

Page generated in 0.03878 seconds with 8 queries