View Single Post
Old November 22, 2013, 08:11 AM   #42
Derbel McDillet

Quote:
If you really need to do that (i.e. imminent threat exists), then you also need to do it as fast as possible. If you don't really NEED your weapon to be at full battle-readiness status (i.e. no imminent threat exists) then reload however you want and take as long as you want. If there's no imminent threat it doesn't matter how you reload.
Why would I want to perform a Tactical Reload to restore my pistol to its highest condition of battle-readiness after I’ve fired a few shots? Another situation that comes to mind is I may have had to shoot a bad guy in a sketchy part of town (perhaps a Walmart parking lot or gas station). The immediate danger is over. But the bad guy’s homies may show up shortly thereafter or a brazenly hostile crowd gathers before police (or backup) arrive. I’ve personally been in both of these kinds situations (although no shots were fired.)

So when time and situation permit, I may want to perform a Tactical Reload.

Quote:
That's not true unless you drop the partially depleted magazine after manually removing it--which would be ludicrous.
If I were to perform a Combat Reload under the same circumstances then I’d also be dropping a partially loaded magazine onto the ground. Whereas if I were in the middle of a Tactical Reload and danger suddenly appeared then I’d have no problem dropping the partially loaded magazine onto the ground after I seated the fresh one. If this were to happen then the gun might be “down” for a just a fraction of a second longer. I don’t count the time it takes to stow the partially depleted magazine because it doesn’t count as down time for the gun.

Quote:
If there IS an imminent threat and you have a running gun, it makes no sense to stop and reload if you don't have to. If you DO have to reload then reload as fast as you can.
That’s not what I’m arguing. But if you do have to perform a Combat Reload then don’t train yourself to get drawn into your gun problem while you stand there like a cardboard target for the bad guy. Your down gun is a problem but it may be lower priority problem at the moment than immediately reacting to the danger. You don’t want to get shot or stabbed or whatever while you’re reloading. The first rule of a gunfight is to avoid getting shot.

Quote:
If there is NO imminent threat then any technique that's reasonable and that meets whatever personal requirements you can dream up is just fine.
BINGO! When time and situation permit a Tactical Reload is the most efficient method for me because it uses the many of same movements as my other gun manipulations.

Last edited by Derbel McDillet; November 22, 2013 at 08:19 AM.

Page generated in 0.03216 seconds with 8 queries