Thread: 586 -vs- 27
View Single Post
Old March 4, 2013, 09:30 AM   #16
Winchester_73

Quote:
Forgive my ignorance, im not a "revolver guy", yet. The "N" frame is the heavier frame? Same as a 29?
Quote:
If I didn't own an "N" frame (Mod 28), I'd own a 586 or 686. Fits my hand better and a few ounces lighter.
Now this all depends. The 586/686 standard feature is the lug. For an N frame, such as a model 629, some have full lugs and some do not. If you are comparing a half lug 629 to a 686 (full lug) they actually weigh the same (S&W website - 45 oz for N frame half lug, and 44.9 oz for L frame 686, both 6in barrel). So the difference is more of a measurement one, rather than weight itself. The N frame has a large cylinder window, and probably a longer frame as well. The L frame feels more nose heavy, but also tends to sit closer to the top of your hand. N frames in the hand sit proud, high up, compared to most other revolvers.

As for the feel of the grip on the gun, I would not let that factor in much. Aftermarket grips for an N frame could make the grip feel smaller than a L frame and of course, vice versa. For example, even from the factory, you could get N frame magna grips (reveals the grip frame) and you could get L frame standard target grips (wraps around front strap and butt) and the N frame then feels smaller in hand. I have many sets of factory grips, and many sets of aftermarket grips for these revolvers, and the feel is definitely mostly grip dependent. You can even get grips which make a round butt revolver feel like a square butt revolver. Its all in what works best for you.

Last edited by Winchester_73; March 4, 2013 at 12:34 PM.

Page generated in 0.02387 seconds with 8 queries