Thread: Sling carry
View Single Post
Old August 27, 2013, 02:50 PM   #14
Rikakiah

Quote:
You are wanting to carry like you see soldiers on TV carrying.
Actually, most "soldiers on TV" I see already have their weapons in their hands at the ready. I'm simply wanting to carry in a manner that allows a swift and efficient transition from carry to sighted in, without needing to take my eyes off my (already identified) target. I can't find a way to use muzzle up that's not awkward and requires more attention just on the motions.

But really, why does everyone respond with "you're not a soldier in combat, don't carry like one"? I didn't realize soldiers carried their weapons in such an unsafe manner that they may accidentally wipe out their entire squad at any given moment... Yes, they carry more for readiness than pure Murphy's Law safety, but if you deem how or what you're hunting requires a bit more readiness, what imminent danger are you really putting yourself in by using a more efficient carry method?

I think Scorch really covered it from what I'm seeing:

Jamming the muzzle into the dirt/mud/snow. --A definite higher risk, although the increased control this carry affords alleviates much of this.

Muzzle down is still pointed at someone next to you, if you hunt in a group. --I wouldn't consider carrying this way in a group, but don't really plan to group hunt anyway.

Ricochets if the rifle goes off. --Another big valid concern. However, muzzle up also has the concern of the bullet hitting someone a mile away, if it's across your back, not straight up (which is an "approved" safe method). Heck, my M4 rides low on my back just from the weight of it in a straight up muzzle up carry, so it's possible the bullet my graze or impact the back of my skull if I'm looking the right way. Admittedly, a ricochet has a higher chance of hitting someone (me in that case) due to proximity of impact, but in either case, an accidental discharge has an equal chance of happening and really is equally bad from a "shouldn't happen" standpoint.

Remember that you are not in combat, and you need to identify your target before shooting, rather than react and fire. --Indeed, but especially then, you need to be able to get your sights on target as smoothly as possible as excess movement and bumbling may spook your game.

Page generated in 0.03533 seconds with 8 queries