View Single Post
Old June 5, 2009, 06:31 AM   #12
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
I would suggest that the phenomena would be caused by something other than the rifle such as the bullet being slightly off its seat due to mishandling or mass manufacturing. A cartridge dropped on the floor could cause the tip of the bullet to become malformed and possibly move the bullet a thousandth or two from being concentric with the case. Considering the speed and rotational values either or both could cause changes in flight and terminal results.
Except that in order for your suggestion to be plausible, all of the dropped/malformed ammunition would have to end up in one rifle in order to alter the rate of yaw that dramatically. Considering that they have observed the phenomena universally across different cartridge types and calibers, I don't see how you could continually get those results if it was strictly an ammunition only issue.

Quote:
NATO adopted the FMJ for the purpose of reducing battlefield deaths after the general public grasped the totals of WW I.
NATO didn't exist until around 1949, so I really have to question how much its choice of projectile was influenced by WWI. Also the Hague Convention prohibiting the use of expanding bullets (which the United States did not sign) entered into force in 1900. The second Hague Convention which prohibited projectiles "calculated to cause unnecessary suffering" (which the United States did sign) entered into force in 1907. So I also question how either of these could have been influenced by WWI. Not to mention, all of the nations fighting in WW I were already using projectiles consistent with those conventions, so the idea that continuing to use them would somehow mollify the public strikes me as a strange one too.

In any case, probably a better topic for a separate thread since there is no relation to the subject at hand in any of that.

Quote:
Back to the 5.56 in the home. It takes about 20 meters for the bullet to stabilize so unless you have a really big house there is no telling what will happen.
Most of the laboratory test shoots of gel take place at distances of 10 yds or so and scientists seem to have no difficulty reproducing results at that distance, so it seems there is a fair amount of consistency in what happens under 20m.

Page generated in 0.03366 seconds with 8 queries