Thread: Close Calls...
View Single Post
Old July 3, 2005, 03:38 PM   #22
progunner1957

Be ready for "The Moment of Truth"

One evening just before dusk, my wife was driving down a 2-lane road in the country on our way home. We saw a motorcycle accident - a M driver and a F passenger had taken a sharp turn too quickly and had been thrown from the motorcycle. A small gathering of people had stopped to "help" (AKA gawk at the crunched up riders who had been thrown into the woods from the accident). We slowed and passed the scene and continued on.

About a minute later, some moron in a hillbilly "monster truck" closed on us at about 70 mph, blew past us, and continued on his merry mouth breathing way; this, on a two lane twisting, winding country road. We both commented on what a "gaping anal sphincter" he was.

About another minute later, a car comes up on us from behind, flashing its brights. I thought it was a depuy sheriff chasing the monster truck. My wife pulled over to let them pass. The car then followed us, as my wife had pulled off into a trail head that dead ended after about 100 feet. The other car was behing us, and we were trapped (not good).

About the time my wife realized the car had followed us and trapped us in the trail head, she informed me, with anxiety in her voice, that the guy from the car was walking up to our Chevy Blazer and was acting very HOSTILE. I told het to roll down her window ONE INCH ONLY to see what he had to say.

I had already drawn my Glock 17 and was holding it at low ready in my position in the front passenger seat. I was becoming increasingly anxious, but at that moment, as the yelling, hostile guy approached our car, something "broke" inside me. I became dead calm, and somehow knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that no matter what happened in the next few seconds, my wife and I would be okay.

Luckily, the guy was only interested in yelling. He accused us of sideswiping us as he stood on the side of the road at the wreck. I said, "Sir, look at our passenger side mirror; is it broken or knocked out of alignment?" He looked and said "no." I said, "If we had of sideswiped you, wouldn't it be?" Calming down, he said "yes." I said, "Look at the height of the mirror - if we had of side swped you going 30 mph, the top of your skull would be gone." He said, "I'm sorry - you're right."

We talked for a few more minutes, and he concluded that the moron in the monster truck had sideswiped him. After another minute, he apologized again and got in his car and left.

At this point, after the potential danger was over, my wife about wet herself. My plan had been that if the hostile driver made any move against my wife or attempted to open her door, I was ready to jump out of my door and "present my weapon" on him. If he moved toward me, I would have put a CorBon HP in the middle of his forehead.

To this day, he has no clue how lucky he was. And my wife has learned to NEVER pull over into a dead-end stopping point.

I have since reconsidered my choice of carry armament and now carry ONLY a 1911 45ACP or a H&K USP45, stoked with .45ACP Federal Hydra-Shok +P HP's or CorBon HPs.

Page generated in 0.03425 seconds with 8 queries