View Single Post
Old June 29, 2005, 04:16 PM   #12
RickB

3-gun matches do not usually include the full range of pistol divisions; you'll get a choice of Open or Limited. IDPA does not yet have uniform 3-gun rules. Our IDPA club has held shotgun and rifle side stages at our pistol matches, and we usually crib from the USPSA Limited rules.
In the context of practical shooting: pistol shooting is about speed, rifle shooting is about accuracy, and shotgun shooting is about reloading. If you are going to be shooting Limited pistol, you may prefer the XD to the .45; shoot fast and accurate, and the higher capacity will be worth more than major scoring. Just about everyone shoots a "minor" rifle, since you are shooting for all A's where major and minor score equally. I've shot a 3-gun match with a Garand, and while it's fun, and you'll get lots of encouragement and high-fives for doing so, imagine a course of fire that requires twenty rounds to complete: The guys shooting ARs (or AKs, for that matter) will complete the course without a reload, while you will be doing two, five-second reloads; you can't afford to give away that much time. I've done MUCH better with an M1 Carbine than the Garand. For a match that had all the shots within 100yds, I'd probably prefer the Carbine to the AR. Shotgun is all about reloading. You want a gun that holds eight in the tube, and you want to practice stoking it up. Try butt cuffs, side-saddles, bandoleers; whatever gets you reloaded the fastest.
I don't have any trick gear, reloading my rifle from my hip pocket, and my shotgun from a belt, but 3-gun is a lot of fun, and a great way to build and maintain skill with your long guns. Jump right in.

Page generated in 0.03649 seconds with 8 queries