View Single Post
Old January 24, 2005, 11:13 AM   #2
tyme
Staff

If you've never dealt with a linux/freebsd/etc. server before, you probably don't want to try to run a forum. However, once you get vbulletin set up, the configuration is all web-based. You still need either shell or ftp access to do vbulletin upgrades, though (and of course to install it to begin with).

There are lots of web hosting companies that will give you several GB of disk space, hopefully your own IP, and a ssh or ftp login, for less than the monthly cost of a cell phone. If you want the server configuration changed, though, good luck. The curse of sharing a server is you can't do much. The curse of not sharing is that you have to maintain the server.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)

Page generated in 0.02944 seconds with 8 queries