View Single Post
Old April 30, 2020, 12:09 AM   #96
TDL

Quote:
I see no reason to believe that. What is the incentive for SCOTUS to hear any gun related cases?
Zero incentive. There is a major negative, especially for Roberts. These cases are going to go down 5:4, and if they go 5:4 favorable for the Second, since this is a partisan issue, in a what is seen as partisan court (GOP majority="partisan" to the media) and the court will get withering criticism in the media, and more threats from Democratic Senators advocating destroying the check and balances in the Constitution to pack the court. Roberts maybe more concerned with the image issues than substance.

Of course the majority of the cases distributed at this point for next go around are shall/may CCL (bear) and AWB/mags (common). I think Roberts problem is only four are needed for cert.so he probably is going ot have to come out of hiding. My pet conspiracy theory, and it is a good as anyone else's, is roberts will cast for one, and against us on another so he can be the peacemaker.

Or since he has pretty much signaled he doesn't want any 2Amd cases, he could just penalize whichever side forces the issue.

Of course maybe I am cynical about the level of politicization of higher courts. We can say they are going to go on the merits, but we have the pesky issues of facts, and it is a stone cold fact that we already know exactly how eight of the votes will be cast on any of the potentially upcoming 2A cases -- and they are totally aligned by appointer party.

Page generated in 0.02413 seconds with 8 queries