Thread: Antelope Help?
View Single Post
Old March 22, 2009, 01:50 PM   #20
guntotin_fool

I haven't shot a Prongie in a long time, but first off, they're small, so they don't take a lot to kill. You want to kill them quick because if they run, they are inedible. All of mine have been with a .257 or a .243 except one, with a .250 savage. All died within feet of being shot, except one, which ran for miles because I either pulled the shot back, or the wind gave it a push. Either way, that one became dog food after the first two attempts at eating it make me retch.

You want a good bullet, like a hunting BT from nosler, or a Sierra GK.

I think the 25-06 is too much powder space for the bore, and you end up with a lot more capacity than you need. I would suggest a .260 rem, a 7 mm 08 or a 257 as well as the .243 that you listed. The better BC of the .260 will give you a bit better wind resistance. THe closest I have ever gotten to Prongie when I had a gun and tag, was about 175, and that was lucky, most of teh shots were 225 to 275, which is about as far as I was willing to shoot then, now I might stretch that as I have more chances to shoot at 400 yards or more, and feel more confident about it.

Page generated in 0.02190 seconds with 8 queries