Thread: Nikon Scopes
View Single Post
Old January 22, 2018, 03:22 PM   #6
Slamfire

What you pay for optics, and what you get, is much improved from 30 years ago. A cheap Tasco spotting scope from the 70's, about $100.00, you could not see 30 caliber holes at 100 yards with the things.

I don't know what the difference in performance between the different price ranges that occur in scopes. I also don't know the difference in construction between one price range or another. I am of the opinion that there is hardly any difference between fully coated, multi coated lenses. Manufacturer's today cannot run a production line, sometimes producing excellent product, and other times producing crap. If everything coming off the production is not excellent product, then the manufacturer will simply lose out in competition between those who can make excellent product each and every time. Automation has done this, product quality is much more consistent than it has ever been. I am of the opinion we are seeing this effect with lenses, even cheap scopes today have clear optics, that is the ones with fully coated, multi coated lenses.

I don't know if the price difference is based on tube construction or reticle construction, or what. I can say, you can bolt on a cheap scope, zero the thing, and see what you are doing.

Page generated in 0.03523 seconds with 8 queries