Thread: Annealing
View Single Post
Old June 4, 2017, 12:07 PM   #67
RC20

Houndog:

This is not meant with any disrespect and your information was definitely interesting.

and nothing to do with wearing people down, out of a spirited technical discussion we can get rid of fake news (urban legends)

Then each person can make an truly informed decisions.

I am not one that makes his mind up quickly, annealing is one of those where I have floated ideas but have not had it firmed up, but the in person work with the Annie as well as the rest posted here and talking with and seeing my brothers results I am fully on the side of Induction and feel torches do not truly work for a true anneal for 95% or better.

As Mr. Guffey has pointed out, a candle works, kind of slow though.

As for the rest, I don't think there is any real low cost way to go about this (short of an induction unit that you build yourself) Where is Heath Kit when you nee them?

MG is the only torch type I have seen post that has a quality control program in place that I think may work (and think is an operative word here).

I am firmly convinced for 95% or better, torches do not work for the full desired result. That does not mean disaster, just not a fully correct anneal.

Avoiding split necks is not the goal, split necks are a symptom.

Getting the right tension on the neck is the goal and when that occurs split necks do not occur.

They also do not occur if its overdone. Solving a symptom does not mean the underlying issue / goal is addressed or achieved.

But if the biggest goal is to avoid split necks and throwing away brass, then a torch can indeed do that and as long as the body is not over heated, no harm done.

Last edited by RC20; June 4, 2017 at 12:14 PM.

Page generated in 0.02675 seconds with 8 queries