Thread: Annealing
View Single Post
Old May 30, 2017, 08:23 PM   #56
hounddawg

the facts about seeing color

https://www.hearth.com/talk/wiki/kno...tal-glows-red/

and all the temperature affects is the speed of annealing. I won't post a wall of text on grain changes in metal but take my word that the difference between heating a metal to 500 F and 1000F when annealing is the time it takes the recrystallization to occur. The problem being is that you want the temp to come up fast and not last long so you do not anneal too far down the case past the shoulder. At 500 if I remember correctly recrystallization would take one hour and at about 750 it is 6 seconds. If you annealed at 500 of course the entire case would be annealed not just the neck and shoulder.

I am looking at a brand new never been fired Lapua .308 and can tell the annealing extended app 1/4 inch down the case wall past the shoulder because of the "rainbow" as I call it .

Any way the method I described above has worked through thousands of firings for me through the years with zero issues so if it ain't broke why fix it. Loose primer pockets are the main reason I retire old brass, occasionally I will toss one just because I see something that I don't like in the case wall or neck, but that is rare

Last edited by hounddawg; May 31, 2017 at 09:52 AM.

Page generated in 0.02638 seconds with 8 queries