View Single Post
Old May 19, 2014, 08:08 PM   #7
Cold Steel

Good question. Both sound the same on television. A woman shoots a man who is lifted bodily off the floor and propelled backwards through a large window and falls two stories onto the pavement below. Oh, wait, that's a .32 auto.

Seriously, both will leave your ears ringing.

Years ago I talked to a guy who says he shot a griz six times in self defense. He said he never had a ringing of the ears, nor did he recall shooting more than two rounds; but when he later checked his gun, which some friends judiciously relieved him of just after the incident, all six rounds had been fired. But at the time it happened, he said, he did remember being terrified. I don't know whether he just didn't remember not hearing the ringing or whether his "fight or flight" somehow protected him from the sound. That sort of thing is common, though.

Old time leadership at the NRA were nearly all deaf...they were all lip readers. Harlon Carter couldn't hear a thing. I've also known people who put cartridge cases in their ears. Even small calibers can rapidly ruin your hearing and, once lost, you can't get it back.

Page generated in 0.03977 seconds with 8 queries