View Single Post
Old June 15, 2013, 06:50 AM   #10
Captchee

some of the modern reproduction 1853 Enfield have a 1:72 twist but originals carried a 1:78 and prior to that a very slow 1: in 120 Maybe it was 1 : 102 , ill have to look it up . But as I recall , that was on the first model Pattern 1853 . Later models carried the 1:78
What was referred to as a ball load for the Enfield is most commonly associated with the Pritchett ball , which isn’t a round ball at all .
One could shoot a patched round ball . I have done it . But do to the shallow rifling ????
The Enfield also had progressive rifling . However today we consider progressive to mean that the rate of twist changes . that’s not the case with the Enfield which associated progressive with depth vs. twist rate .

While today we do think in terms of fast twist for conical , that was not always the case with a lot of the original designs carrying what we would consider very slow twists or RB twists . Even with that , the recorded accuracy with a big heavy conical being pushed what many today seem to think of as light loads (70-90 grains of black) produce very good long range accuracy .
Why someone would think they would need a sabot in such a rifle , is beyond me . But if that’s what a person is thinking of then ya , they would need a rifle that was suited for that

Page generated in 0.02073 seconds with 8 queries