View Single Post
Old November 6, 2010, 10:01 AM   #12
dyl

Thanks for the input guys.

Maybe I could keep walking and not necessarily maintain eye contact with someone who makes me uncomfortable. I could keep my head turned towards them so at least that would be better than looking straight forward.

I had no idea hotels were that dangerous! (according to the stats posted above)

I also like the idea of dropping off the first load of luggage with my wife to the room and while she's busy up there I could get the rest of the things. I'm not sure how likely it is she's going to agree to that though: she'd want to help. But maybe if it's a really really grim neighborhood she'd understand. But then again we'd probably be staying somewhere else instead

About walking with someone: I wonder, what do bodyguards do?

I agree with the poster above: companion on weak side seems to make sense to me now if walking side-by-side. It would be easier for me to clear her from the line of fire to get a decent angle. Plus, I could yank her back toward me with my weak side if someone were trying to pull her. If my wife were on my strong side, I would more likely grab with my gun hand (occupying it) and if I were to raise the firearm it would practically be making contact with her.

As we were walking away, she later told me she had a concern they might try knock me on the head from behind. Still I think companion in front is better than trying to protect someone behind me where I can't see them. I'd be afraid they'd just disappear without a sound and I'll bet that happens sometimes.

Before I left home for that trip I had decided to pocket carry since that's most comfortable for car rides. Whenever I do IWB, the bottom of the holster seems to dig into my thigh. Now when I think of it, pocket carry really was best because I haven't practiced drawing from IWB with one hand only. I'd have to lift my jacket and T shirt, grab the handle before the mess falls down again and draw under stress. I probably do need to practice IWB drawing single-handed. I realize whenever I practice drawing inside my own home it's never with outdoors clothing (jacket) on, never with luggage or bags.

I hope you all stay safe with all this holiday traveling coming up.

Page generated in 0.02245 seconds with 8 queries