View Single Post
Old July 31, 2000, 02:52 PM   #5
Vek

Get in shape (you'll have to do better than walking around the block). Packing deer several miles out of deep boonies is not easy. Get to where you can plod around, up, and down, for the better part of a day at a slow-medium pace. The hills will take it out of you. Bring wool pants, wool/fleece/polarguard shirts/sweaters, and, if you got it, a wool mackinaw. You can get by with the sweater and a nylon shell if you're not going through brush. Here in WA, to find deer, you as a rule have to get up into the steep uglies. That being the case, you don't see deer from miles away. I carry 10x Nikon binocs, and they are more than powerful enough. I've initially heard more deer than spotted. No spotting scope. Rifle? easy. bring something that you can shoot. I use a 700 bdl in .280. New? Don't get a magnum. Get a 7x57, .280, .270, '06, .308, or the like. Unless you're going to carry sandbags with you, you probably won't be shooting more than 300 yards anyway. If you do, make damn sure the wind isn't blowing. GPS? probably not. Map/Compass? You bet. Frame Pack? You'd better believe it. That's my take on the situation. Don't go in soft.

------------------
Jerry V.

Page generated in 0.03276 seconds with 8 queries