View Single Post
Old April 17, 2013, 09:52 AM   #67
Evan Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaseousclay
gun sellers, commercial and private, attend gun shows to make a profit, which is the very definition of commerce.
Actually, no. To the extent that private sellers are selling guns in order to make a profit, engaging in commerce if you will, they're on shaky ground vis à vis federal licensing law; specifically, if they are trying to earn some part of their livelihood this way, they're breaking the law. Private sellers may or may not make a profit selling a gun. I'd bet that most of the time, they don't -- they're just trying to get some money out of the thing, to fund their next purchase, pay the mortgage, whatever.

As to your public vs. private distinction, how is a gun show a more public place than, say, an IHOP parking lot? If I were selling a gun to a stranger, I would never invite him into my home; I would only do such a transaction in a public place, for my own safety. I think this is common practice; whither private transactions, then? It's the status of buyer and seller that matters, not the venue.

Page generated in 0.02210 seconds with 8 queries