View Single Post
Old July 31, 2012, 06:29 PM   #31
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartholomew Roberts
OK, the way I am picturing it in my mind, you draw the pistol out of the cross-draw holster, drop your strong side foot back, and the rotate and push out the pistol in a Weaver stance (with the weak hand having to come in after the gun is already pushed out to avoid sweeping your own arm). That seems like that would work....
That gives me an idea.

[1] Reach for the pistol and assume a full firing grip. At the same time bring the support hand fairly high and flay onto the chest at center line. And step back slightly with the dominant side foot.

[2] Draw the gun from the holster keeping the muzzle general down.

[3] Bring the gun around the body toward the dominant side keeping the dominant hand close to the body. As the gun begins to pass the center line, begin to rotate the muzzle of the gun upward, toward the target -- still keeping the dominant hand close to the body.

[4] As you're rotating the muzzle toward the target, bring the gun up and slightly back into the retention position with the gun near the pectoral muscle. On guns so equipped, the safety can be disengaged during this step.

[5] From there, the presentation is the same as the usual five pint draw from a dominant side holster. The gun may be fired from the retention position to engage a close-in target. Or the support hand is in position to take its grip as you push the gun out into a Weaver or Isosceles, whichever you prefer.

[6] And of course the trigger finger stays off the trigger, outside of the trigger guard and index along the frame, until you're actually firing it.

Thus you (1) can keep the support hand out of the way; (2) can fire from the retention position if warranted; and (3) have the support hand in position to grip the gun. It'll be a little slower than a dominant side draw because the gun has to move farther.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper

Page generated in 0.02140 seconds with 8 queries