View Single Post
Old October 31, 2011, 02:41 AM   #1
Peteydoug

Your definition of "Secured" Glove box carry

I was recently arrested for carrying a concealed weapon but was soon released by the magistrate for a discrepancy regarding the law.

I was driving from a Walmart in Henrico, VA. When I was stopped for a improper exhaust. I had two female passengers with me since we went halloween shopping. The officer approached me asking for license and registration, I handed the license and I immediately told him that my registration was in my glovebox along with my firearm. He said then said he'll take a look at that in a second while we were discussing my exhaust. He then said he needed the registration and I asked him how he would of liked to proceed and he said he will grab it from the glovebox. I unlocked the door for him and he opened the glovebox which did not have "Keyed lock" but a "locking latch." He removed the firearm and registration, also making jokes "Im not gonna shoot anyone" to the girls. I told him it was in condition 3 with nothing in the chamber. He then said that he thinks I needed to have a keyed lock on the glovebox and told me to wait while he calls his superiors/judges/etc.
After 30 minutes, he told me step out of the vehicle and arrested me for having a concealed weapon. He said the a judge said it needed to be locked, thus allowing him to make the arrest. We went down to the jail, and I stepped in to see the magristrate, The magistrate then said what I did was not illegal and told the officer I did not need to be in jail, the officer removed the cuffs and drove me back to my vehicle.

Cliff notes:
-Pulled over for improper exhaust
-Notified the officer of my firearm immediatly.
-I dont have a CHP/CCW but it is not required if the gun is in a "secured container or compartment"
-Officer removed firearm and made calls to see if the glovebox needed to be locked or not.
-Got arrested and sent to jail
-Magistrate released me because he said I wasnt doing anything wrong or illegal.
-I still have court for carrrying a concealed weapon

Seeing that the law states this:

"As of July 1, 2010, a concealed handgun permit is not necessary when carrying a handgun while in a personal, private motor vehicle or vessel and such handgun is secured in a container or compartment in the vehicle or vessel."

There is no reference for the container or compartment needed to be locked via key and only states secured. Which is why the magistrate released me.

What is yall's opinion on the word "Secured"?

Page generated in 0.03121 seconds with 8 queries