View Single Post
Old June 10, 2011, 02:48 PM   #22
snuffy

Nick, I have never felt any ballistic gelatin, so I can't comment on the difference in density between the two. I do know that this stuff is quite dense, it's also quite heavy,(in weight). I would compare it with wet phone books or newsprint. I always considered wet paper to be much denser than gelatin.

That makes sense to compare a 230 grain HP to these, but the extra weight would result in a bit deeper penetration. Remember these are 200 grain bullets. How about a 200 grain HP, lets say a XTP or gold dot? These would be handloads, I haven't bought factory for so long, I doubt I could stand the experience! :barf:

Quote:
The expansion is fascinating. The shape of the cavity looks like the round nose expanded at least part way a couple inches in, then finished where the hole is bigger, while the penta looks like it went unexpanded until the very end, then opened up and dumped it all after about 5". Perhaps I'm miss-reading, though. I don't know how much you had to dig at the final bullet position to get the bullets out.
That's how I read the bullet/wound channel also. The round HP was sitting right where the wound channel ended. The penta deviated right at the end of it's channel, was at least an inch from it's path. You draw a line that intersects the bullet hole on the side of the tube. Then the provided splitter is a fine cable/wire that is hooked to two rings to pull the wire through the wax.

A couple more tests with more boolits will tell the tale. It will take a lot of time if I don't get more of the expansion media. You can only use it once per day per target.

A search online has netted me a bunch of places to order more spiral wound cardboard tubes.BUT the big ones ,(6 inch), require ground trucking, the packages are too big for UPS or FED-X. Looks like I will get the 4 inchers for the handgun tests, look around for someplace to get the larger ones without costing $185.00 for delivery!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?

Page generated in 0.03931 seconds with 8 queries