View Single Post
Old July 7, 2010, 03:11 PM   #26
MilProAkron

To Quote Murdock

Quote:
"You can train hard, but you must stretch and rest appropriately in between sessions. Shooting a lot and then lifting weights to help with that shooting can easily be overdone. It's not all about strength, as endurance and flexibility are also key elements to shooting capability.

Grip strengthening exercises, and stretching and strengthening of the wrist and forearm flexor and extensor muscles are critical. (These are the so-called extrinsic muscles of the hand). Stretching and strengthening of the muscles of the rotator cuff and trapezius muscle in the shoulder are particularly important for shooters over 40."

I couldn't agree with him more. When you are holding a weapon out in front of you, its your shoulders that are carrying the weight. Shoulder strengthening exercises as well as back strengthening exercises would improve anyone's stability while shooting.

Don't neglect your legs! Your foundation is important. A strong stance requires strong legs. As Murdock said, stretching is important. At 42, I have tendonitis in both elbows, have injured both shoulders, have had two knee surgeries, and a variety of other interesting injuries. (thank you U.S. Army) Shoulders, elbows, and grip are very important. Take care of them now. Due to my tendonitis, if I take too firm of a grip on the weapon, my hands start to shake, which has caused me to have to modify my grip and hold it more loosely than I want in order to get the precision I want. Don't neglect your body. Its very smart that you asked about exercising with regard to shooting better. I think its the first time I've read a post asking that question.

Page generated in 0.03286 seconds with 8 queries