View Single Post
Old January 17, 2010, 08:59 AM   #8
zfk55

A picatinny mount won't work on the k31 except in the scout position and requires a LER scope, blocks the issue open sights and is less than desireable for hunting. If a standard scope mount rail is any wider than 3/8" it will interfere with brass ejection on the left, and skin your knuckles on the right when you cycle the bolt.
We've been building these mounts now for 13 years and have a load of failed prototypes on the shelf.
The following is from my son's own forum and might be of some help.
---------------------------------------------------------------

I don't mean the best mounts or accessories. You all know how I feel about that, but I mean what's the best setup. This is my blanket answer to a large number of emails that come each week to ask this question. This may not be what's best for you, but it is best for me and a lot of new guys who don't have budgets for exotic scopes or even the extra dollars for a steel mount. Being the son of an owner I can have anything I want for my k31s, and there's some pretty cool scopes here, but if you're the average guy with one k31 and the money for one mount and one reasonable scope, this is what all of us here at SP recommend and what I use too.

The rifle in the pictures is one of my personal rifles given to me by my Dad. Its one of the load data gathering rifles so you'll see it has a D/T mount on the left side, and that's because a scope on that side works best in the Accurite Shooting Device for hands-off firing, but I actually never use that mount. I use an aluminum right side clamp on mount. I can see no reason to pay the extra dollars for a steel mount at all, and all of us here feel the same way. Dad introduced it because of demand, and for no other reason.

The scopes we use for Swiss Rifles are compact variable, or our preferred compact fixed 4, 6 or 8 power very low profiles to get the scope as low down to the level of the bore as possible. My ring screws always face the outside of the receiver, never the inside. Brass ejection will tell you why.

Keep it simple, keep it low, tune/accurize your rifle as simply as possible without physically changing it and you'll shoot side by side with the expensive stuff.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Hope that helped you somewhat, Huck.

zfk55

Last edited by zfk55; January 17, 2010 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Spelling

Page generated in 0.02117 seconds with 8 queries