View Single Post
Old August 5, 2008, 05:30 AM   #68
Socrates

Quote:
The one thing I take with me to this day about these two occaisions the feeling that I WOULD NOT want a full sized handgun to defend myself - because of the very truncated distances and the real possibility of having the gun grabbed before I stopped at least one attacker.
What a strange conclusion. I'm kind of wondering if anyone here is fired at point blank range, with a snubbie, mine in .357 magnum, at a BG? While my second shot is going to suck, the first guy is going down blind, deaf, and maybe hit.

That said, the guys have a point about the Glocks, and full sized guns. The weight, and site radius and longer grip allow you to get off multiple shots, very quickly. Snubbies, at least ones you can pocket carry, are usually too light to insure quick shooting. You want the heaviest, highest capacity gun you can get your hands on for the situation you described. Also, the gun's design, trigger pull, and effectiveness give a serious advantage to guns with high capacity mags, and short, consistent triggers.
Glocks, with a 5.5 pound trigger, are FAR superior to my
360PD, that came with a 15 lb plus trigger, and, can be tuned to no less then 10 pounds, DA, and stay reliable.

Really, no pocket carry snubbie is going to pack enough punch to be a good first choice weapon. It is still difficult to deploy a large gun from under clothing as fast as you can a snubbie from a pocket, but, it would be worth the attempt. Given the situations you are talking about, you need something with, at least for the PRKali, max capacity of 10 rounds, or 10 Plus 1, and, is capable of mulitple, fast accurate hits on target. For CCW, that leaves me with either a Glock 26, 27, 29 or 30. All not so good for pocket carry. Another choice is a single stack 1911, like my Detonics, but, it would require a quick reload.

Page generated in 0.02056 seconds with 8 queries