View Single Post
Old October 11, 2005, 09:52 PM   #5
BillCA

More red-light rapists - old story, but they usually prey on women. Can anyone validate this is really happening?

We're assuming the car isn't a fully marked unit with roof lights, spotlights, push-bars, etc. Maybe it looks like a Ford Taurus with lights in the grille or one behind the windshield.
  1. Move to the right to let the emergency vehicle pass, if necessary.
  2. If he follows you right continue moving. If it's not a well marked unit with a light-bar and loud siren, keep moving at 10-20 mph.
  3. Get on your cell phone to the local PD or highway patrol. Tell them you suspect it's a phony cop. Give a description of the car. Tell them your location, direction of travel. Also tell them any plans you have for direction (like circling the block). Tell them you want to see a unit with roof lights before pulling over.
  4. Make a turn onto a known street and watch to see if there are markings on the doors/fenders that identify the unit. Just because there is some kind of marking doesn't mean it's a real cop (i.e. stolen security vehicle or magnetic decals).
  5. Until confirmed as real cops, keep moving but watch your driving too. You don't want to get into an accident. Nor get yourself caught in traffic at an intersection if you can avoid it.
  6. Be alert for a cut-off maneuver near driveways or parking lots.

By moving slowly and driving in a populated area gives real cops a chance to show up. If the cop is real, his backup will arrive shortly for a "suspicious" failure to yeild. If they're fake cops the cell phone will probably be your best friend until the real cops show up.

I'd avoid any confrontation until I knew whether they were real cops or not. The last thing you want to do is pull a weapon on a real cop who's been to the range more than you have!

If they ARE real, thank the dispatcher and ask them to tell the officer of your call and that you will pull over in a safe place. Cops who are professionals will understand, especially if they know you contacted their PD.

Page generated in 0.02925 seconds with 8 queries