Thread: Stoeger str 9mm
View Single Post
Old August 5, 2022, 06:48 PM   #6
MarkCO

I was moderately intrigued when the Glock Clones started to come out. There are a bunch of them. And no, I do not consider M&Ps and XDs Glock clones as they have a different trigger system which leaves the striker cocked with enough energy to ignite a primer.

Dagger, Canik, this Stoeger STR9 and a few others really came on fast over the last few years. I had a hankering to revisit some brands I had previously rejected. So I either rented or borrowed pistols from Canik, Taurus, PSA, Stoeger, even some others like the Sig P365XL, and S&W EZ. I really wanted to shoot a KelTec P15 as well, but I can't find one to even buy...I will eventually. Anyway, after a few weeks and 1500 rounds, I had fired at least a magazine and in some, up to 100 rounds to get a feel for the "budget" pistols. Now mind you, I have a KelTec PF9 that is a budget Micro9 and some Kahr CW series that I have previously had as my budget pistols. But there were enough new pistols out there, and I have not been to SHOT the last 3 years and I needed to update my opinions.

So, as one might infer from resurrection of a 3.5 year old thread, I settled on the Stoeger STR9 and picked up two of them today. Consistent with the interwebs reviews, some nice features of the M&P, K&K, Glock in a decent package with metal magazines and a price of about $300 depending on features and accessories. I think the trigger is better than a Glock 17/19, to which these compare favorably. Fits the M&P holsters the best and there is steel (RSA and Sights) where Glock still only provided plastic for about twice the retail price. I prefer the ergos, shootability of the STR9 over the Dagger and Canik, Taurus and the rest of the Budget 15/17 round 9mms. I bought two, and one will join an M&P, a Glock, a CZ, a Kahr and a Ruger on the table for students to try at classes.

So, I think "Ken" was on to something as an early adopter. Interested to know if @Jericho1911 picked one up or not.

Page generated in 0.03618 seconds with 8 queries