View Single Post
Old May 19, 2013, 11:29 AM   #12
danez71

Quote:
I don’t share the same mentality as hardcore video gamers where replacing the console every few months or years is normal and acceptable. The consoles are designed to fail because of the use of BGA (ball grid array) in place of the normal pins and sockets.
BGA can withstand greater shock and vibration than DIP and socket and is cheaper due to eliminating the lead frame and socket.

Quote:
Use of BGA gives the console more upfront consumer value at the cost of long-term life.
The BGA has better long term reliability. Even the military and space industries have practically eliminated all through hole and socketed IC parts unless the design requires the part be easily removed such as needed by a lot of UVEPROM designs but those have been phased out with the use of FlashEPROMs.

Quote:
The maker sells the consoles at a loss but will eventually make it up by selling more consoles.

At the volumes they're selling....If they're selling consoles at a loss... the only thing that's going to happen if they sell more consoles is that they will have more losses.

But back to the OP. I'm considering having a small spare parts pack for some of mine too. And then I'll have to learn how to replace parts. Ive never replaced a firing pin. But Ive never had one fail either.

Page generated in 0.03551 seconds with 8 queries