View Single Post
Old April 15, 2013, 08:57 AM   #16
F. Guffey

“I can take that safety off by just raising the bolt handle”

As everyone knows, on this forum, the Mauser bolt is installed when the safety is set as, meaning the safety is supporting the firing pin assemble. After installing the bolt the trigger is in the ‘no load' condition. When the trigger is in the no load condition, the load is on safety. To transfer the load to the trigger the safety is released. Raising the bolt handle, lowering the bolt handle should not cause the safety to release, removing the bolt should not cause the safety to release.

The safety has a notch, normally in the firing position the flag is in the 9 o’clock position and the notch is in the 6 o’clock position. Then there are variations, the Mauser safety has a detent, when the safety is set the flag is at the 12 o’clock position and the detent when the 6 o’clock position, When the detent is holding the firing pin assemble there is nothing that will put the safety into a no load position, the handle can be raised and lowered, the bolt can be removed, nothing. As everyone on this forum knows when the bolt is removed to be dissembled the safety is set before the bolt is removed, again, raising the bolt handle nor removing the bolt releases the load applied to the safety, ‘UNLESS!!’ raising the bolt handle cocks the rifle and again, everyone on this forum knows THAT SHOULD NOT HAPPEN.

Again, there is a detent, if there is no detent, there should be a detent. The after market detent is not located in the same position as the Mauser safety, that does not give the after market safeties exemption status .

Questions like this have been with the forums forever, years ago there were so many experts, anyhow a question came from Michigan, I sent him three safeties, one could not be applied, one worked perfectly and the other could would allow the flag to be raised with ‘no load’ on the safety, meaning it would not remove the load from the trigger.

F. Guffey

“I can take that safety off by just raising the bolt handle” Off as in removing the safety or off as in releasing safety? If you do not have a detent, get one.

Page generated in 0.02922 seconds with 8 queries