View Single Post
Old December 15, 2011, 09:22 AM   #20
tirod

On the 1911's, rereading the article points out it's the budget models: http://gunsgunsguns.net/handgun-roun...-budget-1911s/

Glad you like the new HD7.

I was talking with the owner of a local manufacturing plant last night, mostly lamenting the difficulty in purchasing components on the supply chain. Seems the transportation industry is overwhelmed with foreign imported parts, and what the buyers and accounting have shipped is difficult to trace. The conversation went something along the lines that "Japanese cars made in the US have more American parts than domestic, the Ford Taurus is only 80% or so."

Can't attest to the accuracy of the numbers, but I do know for a fact that happens. I pull French sourced parts off my '90 Cherokee doing repairs - Renault had a major influence on them in those days. The injection system was "Renix" - Renault Bendix, the same as used on Jag, BMW, Mercedes, etc.

While not definitive, check the Brownell's catalog, they flag items Made in the USA, and it's surprising what isn't. Why one or another might be from an offshore or undesignated source is exacty what we don't know - and our laws concerning content do allow a much higher percentage of parts to be from overseas and yet be labeled American.

It's very much an individual choice, but it's extremely difficult to practice Buy American when the label is allowed on products with up to 40% foreign content - and finding out from where is nearly impossible. They can barely keep up, it changes from year to year.

I'll suggest a line in the sand against any one nation's products would likely create such financial hardship buying only Made in the USA that only the most financially blessed could pull it off. Pragmatism about cash flow simply disallows the luxury of a moral stand for most Americans. Not sure we ever were any good at it, anyway. Americans like buying foreign brands that work better or at least offer features we can't get otherwise. We drink tea from porcelain labeled as an entire class "china." Even if it's actually British.

Yup, the country patchwork imprinted Christmas coffee cup I need to refill i Made in Japan. Time for some more java from Venezuela.

Page generated in 0.02132 seconds with 8 queries