View Single Post
Old August 29, 2011, 09:15 AM   #1
stonewall50

Be Wary of Pressing Laws

I have been thinking about this more and more recently. I Majored in history at the University of Florida and one of the things I can say in my studies that I have noticed, is that if a group pushes hard for something(rights, money, control, etc) the bigger the potential back lash can be. It is Newtonian laws applied to politics and history.

This being said, I want to point something out to members of the firearm community. I noticed the attempt in my state to push through a bill that would allow open carry on campus. This is an EXTREMELY touchy issue. I would LOVE to be allowed to carry concealed on my campus(game days, night events/studies, and just passing through). I would NEVER open carry a handgun in a public place though. It says to ANY potential threat to take care of me first, and to any potential junky that if they get the drop on me they might get a bonus. People are also wary of things they don't understand, and in the liberal environment of a campus you WILL be outcasted and criticised(probably not much ) for having a firearm.

If we want pro-firearms laws put on the books we need to make sure that we push them through slowly. We do not need to band-wagon drive laws through. That has a potential nasty side effect for us. We need to remember to press things through with constant but slow pressure we have a much better potential for making sure our rights stay open for much longer.

Page generated in 0.02548 seconds with 8 queries