Thread: LEO Only Forum
View Single Post
Old November 14, 1998, 11:54 PM   #3
Rob Pincus

When I saw this thread had appeared I figured I would sit back and feel out the crowd, but being named int he post makes m efel obligated to express, more precisely my position settle in, this is going to be a long one...)

First, let me say that I identify very much with wath Paw had to say. I'm a bit of a lost child too, as you guys can tell. I dabble in just enough things to not really "belong" in any one circle. People who know me and want to judge me are free to, but it does kinda grate me the wrong way when someone hears that I used to "do security work" and they immediately dismiss me as a mall rent-a-cop, or that I am a reserve LEO and they consider me a wannabee, or that I was commissioned as an officer in the Army, but have never been assigned to a unit and am in the IRR and they don't even try to figure that one out or that. Anyway, the point is that I know what it is like to not quite fit.
I live on the fringes of a few different communities.

That said, the more I think about it, I do not like the idea that we need a special area to make the LEOs feel comfortable. As I said in the other thread I cannot think of anything that I would say on the internet in that area that I wouldn't say here (though I am open to hearing hypothetical scenarios... I promise I'll answer honestly). If it is a just a "lets make the LEOs feel good" thing, I'm against it, that implies that the non-LEOs will feel bad, which flies directly in the face of one of Rich's stated intentions.

I am all for attracting more people to the board, but not I wouldn't trade 3 dozen unknown entities for any one of you guys that I already know are quality contributors. Gun talkers on the internet, LEO or otherwiser, are a dime a dozen. I've secretly been given Rich a bunch of bad marketing advice so that we can keep this great, albeit small, group we've got .

If I was to moderate that forum, I would encourage the conversation be kept to whatever we define as "sensitive" material and try to keep all the other topics in their proper open forum. I'll gladly fall into the trap of moderating anything you want Rich, but only until someone more qualified and at least as dedicated to the success of this site comes along. (the latter quality will definitely be the one that is harder to find.)

------------------
-Essayons

Page generated in 0.03378 seconds with 8 queries