View Single Post
Old December 20, 2012, 06:28 PM   #1
phamily man

Need help on a rifle purchase

Hi all,

I want to buy an assault rifle, but I don't know if I should go with .308, .223, or... well... I don't really know anything. I have ZERO experience with rifles.

I've always been a pistol guy, and have never so much as even fired an "assault weapon". I remember firing a .22 rifle when I was a kid on vacation with my pops, but that's the extent of my rifle experience. Sad... I know.
Sooo... unless you live under a rock, you're probably not wondering why all of a sudden I'm interested in buying an "assault" style rifle. So, what should I buy while I still can?
Bear in mind, I live in CT where the AWB is, for the most part, in effect. I think the laws don't allow for a pistol grip, but because I've never been interested in buying one, I didn't pay attention and don't know what can be legally purchased in my state.

I have a $2000 budget, but would like to keep it down to half of that if I can... $1500 would be okay too, and $2k is my limit.

After talking with a buddy who owns an AR-10, I must admit feeling partial to a .308 over a .223... but what do I know? As far as pistols go, I've always felt that bigger is better. I love my Springfield 1911 .45, but its too big to carry, so my ccw is a Beretta Px4 Storm SubCompact chambered in 9mm. That particular pistol comes in 9mm or .40 cal, and I usually believe bigger is better, but I liked the 13+1 round capacity of the 9, rather than 10+1 in .40 cal.
That being said, I'm not going to be carrying this thing around with me (unless the Mayans were right, and the zombie apocalypse really does happen tomorrow, 12/21/12 ) so mag capacity isn't as big of an issue as it is in a pistol, because I can always carry more magazines.

So what do you all feel the best bang for the buck is? Let's assume I want a .308 unless you can convince me otherwise.
I want to be able to mount a scope and/or other extras like maybe a laser, but I really don't know anything about this stuff, so help me out!

Thanks in advance!
-Phamily Man

Page generated in 0.03532 seconds with 8 queries