View Single Post
Old February 23, 2012, 11:26 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

Fast twist rate & lead bullets... your thoughts ???

So... 1st off, I kinda do some things "out of the box" just in case you guys don't know me...

for purpose of this discussion I'll talk about a couple custom projects, but could follow along with stock items...

I have a couple "fast twist" 22 Hornets I've been expirimenting with, a Ruger bolt action rifle, & a 6" revolver both with a 1 in 9" twist barrel... the Hornet I've been loading with longer, light weight bullets, & heavier ones up to 68 grains with full stabilization...

I'm currently working on a "new" Velo-dog project, on a modern 4" stainless revolver, converted to center fire from 22 Magnum... the standard barrel twist is 1 in 16" on the 22 mag barrel, ( the barrel is already removed, for the center fire conversion, so I've been thinking about lining the barrel with something faster, so I can load a bit heavier bullet, at subsonic speeds, to have a quieter shooting gun

so along with shooting bought quality jacketed bullets, I'm going to start casting my own this summer... I've been collecting the molds for years & have all the needed equipment, & a ton of lead ingots... my machinist buddy is making me a 40ish grain plain based 6 cavity mold for these 22's... I have run my supply of big bore boolits down, so I'll start with them, & have a good casting mentor, but curious of your guys thoughts of shooting hard cast lead bullets in faster twist barrels...

now to put it in a more normal perspective... shooting lead in a faster twist 223 ???

my velocities will be low, as I'm thinking pop gun small game hunting loads... but I also do some stuff with the 223's & if one were wanting to shoot light loads, like a subsonic load, how do you think the fast twist barrels will get along with those cast bullets???

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; February 23, 2012 at 11:31 AM.

Page generated in 0.03374 seconds with 8 queries