View Single Post
Old February 19, 2007, 09:11 AM   #51
FAL-schutter

rickster said:
Quote:
Luckily, for the officer, the suspect wasn't thinking clearly or had no idea how to use a gun or he could have made the gun functional again. Nothing against the officer but when he got the gun back, it should have been instinct to tap, tilt, rack. He would have been back in business.
Sure, but by the point that the cop recovered his weapon he'd taken more than a bit of pummeling. I suspect it's considered a bit too risky to inflict actual physical injury on cadets for the sake of teaching them to be able to clear stoppages in any circumstance.

Deaf Smith said:
Quote:
He is lucky the other guy, while strong, was not a very skilled fighter himself.
Well, he was, in the sense that he was a boxer, though I'll concede that that particular skill-set was not entirely relevant in this situation, in that boxers tend not to (train to) encounter much smaller guys with pepper sprays and handguns in the ring.

On balance, I think it was actually a good thing the cop had a semi-auto, since the perp managed to wrest it away. The only thing that stopped the perp from turning the weapon on the cop was the fact that it had suffered a stoppage. Now, as Double Naught Spy noted earlier, you can stop a revolver from firing by grabbing the cylinder, and if that had been the problem, once the perp had gained control of the weapon, there would have nothing to stop him from using it on the cop.

And, you know, at the end of the day the cop did all right, in that he managed to stay conscious (and alive) and in (regained) control of his sidearm until the backup arrived. The power of a police force doesn't (and shouldn't, in my opinion) so much rest in its members all being crack operators with enough firepower to single-handedly level half a block, but in its ability to coordinate, and call down overwhelming numbers of its members to a single location in short order. I'd rather the police were reticent about the (threatened) use of force, simply because I don't like the idea of being pulled over for merely speeding and then finding myself lying cuffed on my stomach with the state patrolman holding a gun on me while he waits for his backup to arrive.

Page generated in 0.03146 seconds with 8 queries