View Single Post
Old February 21, 2006, 09:30 PM   #1
Doug.38PR

What stances do you use at the range?

What kind of stances do y'all use at the range?

Most people I see at the range only practice the simple isosceles stance with both hands from 5-10 yards.

I typically use the one handed dueling stance, the fast draw crouching with my hand over the heart, the Weaver stance every now and then, and recently I have picked up a few shooting stance that Chic Gaylord recommended in his book. The _Barricade Around Corner Stance_, _Rock the Baby_ and the _Border Patrol_ stance.

The latter two (RtB and BP)I have found very interesting (and they seem to work quite well too). RtB seems to work well when you are picking off a careful shot in SA. You postion arms in a cradle hold with your right hand holding your gun resting on your left arm.

Border Patrol seems like a good tactical stance and works well for DA and SA. You are kneeling down (low to the ground, and reducing yourself as a target) and are using your knee and the palm of your left hand as your gun stand to support your shot. You are essentially making your whole body a gun tripod of a sort. I try all of these methods at 20-25 yards away at least (would do 50 if I could but the indoor range I go to isn't that far) about 75% of the time

Does anyone else use any other sort of stance aside from the Weaver, Isosceles and Duel stances? If so, what are they and how do they work for you?

For illustrations of each of these stances see pictures below:

Rock The Baby

Barricade around corner

Border Patrol

Last edited by Doug.38PR; February 21, 2006 at 10:44 PM.

Page generated in 0.03171 seconds with 8 queries