View Single Post
Old January 27, 2015, 01:06 PM   #4
Jim567

I have in past years, only shot bolt action rifles from a rest at the range.
Load 3, shoot 3, check the spotting scope. Sit back down load 3 ect. Always loaded the rifle and of course worked the bolt sitting down. Sometimes I would load three in the magazine standing up, but the bolt was never closed till I sat down.

I kinda feel with my acquire of AKs and Ars I may have picked up a bad habit.

Sit down load 3 only shoot three, I do that to get my muscle memory around the loading mags, inserting them, charging the rifle ect instead of just loading a 20 -30 round mag at a time.

When I shoot 3 and get up and go around to the spotting scope, rifle empty bolt locked back - I have then been standing back up after viewing the group, reloading the mag, inserting it and charging the rifle before I sit back down. I have not been engaging the safety.

Unlike a bolt action, its easier to reload that way when the rifle is bench rested. Sitting down is more difficult, less ergonomic with larger mags and charging handles.

Now the rifle is securely bench rested and I am only sitting down after I charge the rifle but ---- Murphy.

That process will be re thought.

I have never used a safety on the range with a bolt action rifle. The rifle is either being fired or empty, action open.

With my AKs and Ars, there is the second or two after I charge the rifle I am not in full control as I sit down.

Not good.

Last edited by Jim567; January 27, 2015 at 01:14 PM.

Page generated in 0.03362 seconds with 8 queries