View Single Post
Old June 11, 2018, 02:19 PM   #134
fastbolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulaco View Post
I don't post much but I've been around a while. I have a potential scenario and am interested in feedback from the community.

Imagine an active shooter situation, say one or possibly multiple assailants, in a large, "auditorium" type environment.

And yes, I know a rifle would solve problems, but lets just say for arguments' sake, it must be a pistol.

Thanks for the info.
I rather like this concisely worded post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4V50 Gary View Post
I'm not about to switch because of a scenario. Train with what you have and train hard. " "Shed sweat, not blood." - Rommel.
I consider any of my assorted full-size, compact or subcompact 9, .40 or .45 pistols - or my remaining 4" .357 Magnum revolver - to be suitable for such a task, regardless of caliber or ammunition capacity.

Then again, I spent many years carrying both issued revolvers, and then issued pistols (in 9, .40 & .45), and realized that I might face such a daunting scenario at any time, while armed with any of them. That meant I spent just as many years training hard with all of them. Of course, I was lucky in the respect that I started more serious training as the result of my firearms instructor role several years into my LE career. Lots of trigger time and free ammo on a LE Only range, with some pretty experienced and gifted senior instructors to guide me.

Now, practically speaking, while my usual "retirement" weapons are often one of my .38 snubs or a diminutive .380, I still practice (and have qualified) using those little guns. That means having used them in the usual 3-15yd courses, of fire, and then taking them out to further distances, to assess basics.

I don't have any false expectations that the short .38's/.380's will likely be as potentially "effective" at longer distances, at least compared to my 3"-5" guns in 9, .40 or .45, but neither do I feel like going back to carrying around a bigger and heavier belt gun all the time again.

FWIW, if I found myself in the situation of becoming some authorized "church security", I'd probably not go any "lighter" than one of my .38 snubs. I might just as easily go back to wearing one of my 3"-3.5" 9's, .40's or .45's for that role.

Page generated in 0.02678 seconds with 8 queries