View Single Post
Old May 16, 2013, 12:25 PM   #7
bedbugbilly

Jim - thanks very much for that information - very interesting. I saw this Spencer and Blakeslee 50 + years ago when I was a kid. My folks took us on a 4 to 4 day travel around Ohio on a spring break. We ran across the "Peott" or "Peot" (pee to) Castle on the trip and we stopped. If I remember correctly, there were two castle like houses buit by the family in the early 1800's and one was sort of a museum. The family member, who was a WW II veteran, gave us a tour of the house and showed us many things from the family, including the Spencer and the Blakeslee. For the life of me, I can't remember the location in Ohio but it was a fantastic tour and for me, who was about ten or so at the time, it further sparked my interest in muzzleloaders.

g. willikers - LOL - I wish I had the time to watch soap operas and reality TV (although neither interest me). This was just "one of thiose things" that crossed my mind while my backside was parked on a John Deere. I'm pretty well versed on Civil War equipment and accouterments having collected for 50 years. I've never had a chance to see a Blakeslee in person other than that one time and for some reason, it was crossing my mind - probably because I was mulling over some of my genealogy as I mowed and got to thinking about my g-g-grandfather.

Over the years, I passed up some Spencers (many years ago) primarily as they really didn't interest me that much as compared to military muzzleloaders and civilian front stuffers. I'm starting to hear a little more on the reproduction spencers that are chambered in some more popular calibers - I think one would be a lot of fun and certainly different from the more popular lever guns.

Thanks again for the information - very interesting and greatly appreciated.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63

Page generated in 0.03081 seconds with 8 queries