View Single Post
Old October 19, 2011, 02:36 PM   #11
Sevens

If you are asking my advice, I'd suggest you stick with your OEM Glock barrel for now. Indeed, there has been less chamber support in stock Glock barrels in the past, and perhaps even now (especially in 10mm) than some of the after market barrels -- BUT, Glock has come around and evolved over the years and there is absolutely more support in this critical area than in years past.

Are you a handloader? If yes, what kind of loads do you see in your future? Are you planning to push the limit of the cartridge? If yes, then you will benefit from an aftermarket barrel.

If you are not a handloader and you don't intend to be, then don't worry another minute about it. Most of the ammo you find is going to be on the weak side anyhow, unless you specifically seek out the full-spec 10mm ammo.

As for lead, it's a legend that lives on. I have a couple of comments on cast lead in the stock Glock barrel -- at least, the stock barrel in my Glock 29.

On two different occasions I've run 200 grain LTC bullets backed by a nice charge of Power Pistol behind them through my G29. (I don't own a chrono but the published load data suggests that they are running north of 1,000 FPS with this charge weight)

The first time I did 50 of them, stripping the pistol after the first 10, then the next 20, then the last 20 to inspect. The second time I put 100 through it, 50 then strip to inspect and 50 more and strip to inspect.

What I found with each inspection is that there is very little, if any lead traces left in the bore of the Glock 29. And I know what lead in a bore looks like because I've definitely leaded up handgun bores before.

Furthermore, this isn't a traditional land & groove barrel, we all know that and we've said it a half dozen times in this thread. With the style of barrel that the G29 uses, WHERE is this lead supposed to "collect?" I just don't see any nooks and crannies (or grooves!) for lead to build up and make the bore smaller, raising pressures.

My testing isn't done... I guess I'll go for 150 or 200 rounds of lead the next time.

So if cast lead bullets are BAB BAD BAD in a 10mm Glock 29, I've not yet seen hard evidence of it. (but boy, there sure is a WHOLE heckuva lot of internet warnings about it)

And one last thing... my buddy used to have a .45 cal HK USP pistol with a polygonally rifled barrel and it looked different in shape and style from my polygonally rifled Glock barrel. The HK pistol bore looked like a true polygon when looking down it... the Glock bore seems to have curved sides running down it's polygon sides, almost looks like a reverse "lands and grooves" kind of concept. I have no idea if this is only the 10mm Glock pistols, or all of them, or just the G29, or just the one that Glock built and I happened to purchase. But the bottom line is that not all polygonally rifled handgun barrels are the same. I wish I could take a picture of it.

Folks LOVE to say that "Glock specifies that you should never shoot lead bullets through their barrels" but folks -- nearly every handgun maker in America also tells you right there in ink that you should NEVER feed your firearms any manner of handloads or reloads and that is pure and simple CYA lawyer horsecrap and it means nothing, not a single useful thing here in the real world where I live.

Page generated in 0.03756 seconds with 8 queries