View Single Post
Old August 8, 2006, 10:06 PM   #7
taylorce1

I wouldn't carry the pistol at all, I'd save the weight for something more useful like water. When chasing game at 7000+ feet you can get pretty winded and extra water to help keep you hydrated is more useful than a pistol. You could also use the weight you would save to carry emergency supplies if you get stranded by a nightfall or a sudden storm. A space blanket, waterproof matches, 550 cord, and a garbage bag would be more useful than a pistol if you got stranded overnight.

I've hunted CO for over 15 years now and have never had a problem of the 2 legged kind that would require the use of a pistol. Most people who are shot during hunting seasons are a result of a hunter who has "Buck Fever". I know that people get pretty upset sometimes if you accidentally trespass onto private property during hunting seasons, so know the boundaries of your hunting area if you are near private property.

Predators such as lions and bears will pretty much stay out of your way and it is doubtful you will see any during the day. If they do decide to attack, you could probably get the drop with your rifle faster than you can drop your rifle and draw your pistol. I leave my scope set on the lowest setting until I go to make my shot and then I will adjust the power to the level needed. I also hunt the mountains with low power scopes that start out an 1.5 or 2X magnification. If you are hunting with a scope that starts out with higher than a 3X you might run into a problem trying to find a close target in your cross hairs.

Carry the pistol if you want to because it is your right to do so. Just don't let the Game Wardens see you using it to put down a wounded animal if it does not meet the minimum requirements for hunting. You might have a problem then, but they will not bother you if it stays in the holster or if you use it in SD against a wild animal or someone intent on causing you bodily harm.

You will have the burden of proving that the person you shot was trying to do you bodily harm. So I retract the my earlier statement about not being bothered by DOW officials in that SD scenario.

Page generated in 0.02265 seconds with 8 queries