View Single Post
Old December 28, 2018, 01:12 PM   #57
Sabre9mm

My $0.02, this is very similar to the fight the FBI had with Apple over the modification of firmware to allow legal access to an encrypted phone. The subsequent DCMA ruling change to legalize (for citizen’s benefit of course) this thus hobbling Apple’s claims that they could not. We all know the FBI could have (has, did, and will again) paid an independent security firm to do this. That is my point and how it relates, this is a stab at the legal right to modify the basic rights in any form. Be they privacy and or gun legislation. It is “can we get ANYTHING to move forward, if so we can use that as leverage for larger changes?”. So as a result, they pick targets that are emotionally motivating such as mass causality crime.

I tell my children all the time (and many young people I know with voting rights), just because a cause sounds good, consider what it means long term and broader to the nature of your rights as a whole.

I personally file this with magazine size restrictions, bullet buttons, and all the other silly stuff that makes lawmakers think they are changing anything about violent crime directly. The homicide statistics do not support these features being influential in the big pool, only the shallow end under the microscope.

Alas though for the same reason we all hold hands and sing songs in church. Emotional convictions imprint longer. They only must rally your sympathies long enough to get a vote passed. And people are proven to passionately back themselves into a corner they will not so energetically work themselves back out of on the next vote.

If it were about life, tragedy, and common sense this would be a cell phone capabilities/pharmaceuticals/tobacco/etc debate not a gun rights debate.

As for bump stocks, I have owned them, they are a fun novelty and an expensive one as well, impractical for anything unless you wanted to do some serious training. Sold them at a huge profit years ago back when they were fashionable. Never missed not having them. All in all, rate of fire and or magazine capacity is not the problem by any means or measure, just a currently popular attack vector for media and politicians. I have seen nothing more logical presented yet than you could argue “the trigger is the most dangerous part of the weapon because it allows the user to make a conscious effort to discharge the weapon!”

As for bump firing remember this, the bump stock was invented as a convenient way to do this, not the only way as many other have pointed out. A bootlace can more effectively do the same thing on the correct gun, already illegal as all get-out, and done routinely even by law abiding citizens.

Why because people find a way… And rights are more often about what people gleefully give away than what people take from them.

So in my humble opinion, fear this with all you have and realize it has nothing to do with needs, or practicality, it is about leverage and effort to make everything about something illegal until the original debate is no longer a debate.

Last edited by Sabre9mm; December 28, 2018 at 02:08 PM. Reason: smelling pistakes

Page generated in 0.03474 seconds with 8 queries