Thread: Reloading
View Single Post
Old March 24, 2017, 10:19 PM   #35
jimbob86

Quote:
You need plenty of inexpensive 130 grain bullets for off-hand practice on water-filled milk jugs at ranges of 50 to 200 yards. But you also need to experiment with components likely to perform well at long range and for ammo you might actually hunt with. As someone else mentioned, the 150 grain Sierra Game King is an excellent substitute for the Nosler Partition of the same weight, at half the cost. I have both. The Partition would be expected to be the better Heavy-Game bullet, but the Sierra would probably be better for Deer, and they load and shoot alike for me.
The 110gr Hornady V-max over 47gr of IMR4064 is my practice/prairie dog round ...... about 3K f/sec, mild recoil (I've shot 300+ in a single day, with mid-day break to reload the same 150+ cases so I could shoot them again .... and when the sun went down, I loaded them again, and shot them the next morning before going home ....... and burned up 2 bricks of 22lr on the trip, as well.....good times!) and generally cheaper than 130's..... turns milk jugs inside out!

As noted above, I'm not fan of Partitions for deer .... spendy, and not necessary- you can poke a hole in Bambi from one end to the other with a Hornady Interlock or Remmy's Cor-Lokt for 1/2 the price, if crappy field dressing is your thing ......

OTH, if you want to limit yourself to 100 yard shots, I suggest a reduced load with IMR4064 and a 130gr bullet (Speer's Hot cor worked for me, mostly because it was what I had on hand at the time.....) ..... loaded to 2600 f/sec or so...... kills 'em just as dead at short range without all the sturm and drang.......

Page generated in 0.03999 seconds with 8 queries