View Single Post
Old January 17, 2024, 12:28 PM   #6
Metric

I don't have the parts yet (weather delays probably) but I did make a first pass on the original parts.

I clamped the hammer into a vice so the hammer hook was sticking up a fraction, and then used the "medium" ceramic stone on a spyderco sharpmaker. Was generally terrified that I didn't know what I was doing, and could immediately see the desirability of a jig. I could also suddenly appreciate minor imperfections in the shape/flatness of the ceramic stone.

Still, I forged ahead as best I could, trying to keep the angle as consistent as possible.

I was quickly surprised at the rate at which metal was coming off (relative to high-hardness knives) -- the little fraction above the vise was suddenly much smaller, though the hammer hook is huge and I had been rather conservative in my original settings.

I then did a quick hand-polish with some 3000-grit diamond compound on both the hammer hook and sear, and reassembled.

The effect was noticeable, but probably about 30% of what needs to happen. The pull seems to be lighter by about 1-2 pounds (subjective estimate), and the creep stage of the pull seems shorter by about 30%. There is likely some amount of "placebo effect" in my estimates, but I am doing my best to account for that.

It's encouraging that I was able to get *some* improvement, but the trigger is still nowhere near what I'd call "good." I'm hesitant to do any more to the original hammer and sear (besides possibly polishing a bit more), but I will not be afraid to get aggressive and creative with at least one of the new hammers. Will report on the next attempt.

Thanks to all you stoners out there for guidance -- every bit of information and encouragement is helpful.

I do really like this pistol. It reminds me a bit of the all-steel Colt Mustang in terms of handiness and feel, only a lot more accurate. The two Colts I fired were both terrible in terms of mechanical accuracy. But I always loved the feel. If I can improve the sights and trigger, this will be a cool and practical little thing (not the absolute smallest or lightest, but a great blend handiness and heft when "absolute minimum size" is not essential). Historically interesting design, too.

Page generated in 0.03145 seconds with 8 queries