Thread: Scout Scopes
View Single Post
Old July 31, 2023, 10:46 PM   #29
bamaranger

Aagard

Finn A. in one of those from the mid '90's articls did compare a fixed 3x with a 2-3/4x IeR, , whose I do not recall. It was not snap shooting, but picking out a target of some type in a mildly shaded spot at some reasonable distance. I've put up all my articles and not gonna dig them out again, but.......

Aagard commented that the old Leupold 3x beat whatever IER he was using in that instance in terms of picking out /observing the target clearly. Regards LPV's, seems if I recall in one of the driveby commentaries in Cooper's Corner that an LPV mounted conventionally on a carbine was a useful arrangement and while it did not offer some of the handiness of an IER, he was mildly positive. Cooper also was complimentary of the old M94 30-30 with peep sights. He has a picture of same in his book "Art of the Rifle".

I'd mentioned prior that my Dad, in about 1970 used what was likely a Buhler mount forward of the receiver and a Leupold 2X pistol scope on a M94 in .44 mag. It gave him fits. Unknow to either of us he was cross dominant, and finding that optic window up front was a challenge. Additionally, he never reall solved an insufficient elevation problem with the mount and after repeated attempts at shimming, went with a side mount, which was still a struggle. He traded the carbine, before I knew about it. Steel butt plate, saddle ring (with a leather thong) ....

Page generated in 0.03122 seconds with 7 queries