View Single Post
Old June 12, 2023, 12:39 AM   #5
bamaranger

do?

Sounds like the OP has made up his mind, but here's what I was thinking....

I'd keep the gun, the price out the door sounds like a deal to me in this day and time and I would be reluctant to turn my back on it. Regards 20" v. 18.5, for a gun intended for SD/HD, used largely in a fixed, defensive setting as in down the hall or across the garage, I don't see much difference, and the added ammo in the tube would be a comfort. I was always a proponent of an 18" gun (w/ mag extension) for patrol, the 2" shorter tube seemed easier to exit a patrol rig or negotiate around hallways/doorways or other personnel more easily.

Concerning magazine capacity, I always thought the 4+1 standard capacity of the Rem 870 was a drawback, and advocated mag extensions for patrol shotguns. The Mossberg with it's 5+1 capacity at least had as many rounds as your revolver (yes, I'm that old). The 20" Mossberg discussed at 7+1 would be a comfort if you had to fight w/ it and not tote it any distance.
But in a hunting gun, I would not want anything to do with a magazine extension, it adds weight and bulk which you need to carry afield. Additionally, a Mossberg with standard 5+1 mag tube can easily accept a longer sporting barrel with choke tubes if desired. The security models are limited to their fixed IC or CYL chokes, unless one is willing to dismount the extended tube and install a standard tube when one wants to use a sporting barrel to hunt with fine shot for small game.

Page generated in 0.02329 seconds with 8 queries