View Single Post
Old June 17, 2020, 02:28 PM   #10
Driftwood Johnson

Quote:
Prolly because I am a tightwad.

I have some Lyman molds and at three times the price, I do not see three times the quality of the final product. But I am not a purist. I know that aluminum cools faster than steel which makes casting rhythm more important.
Being a tightwad and getting good performance with Black Powder are two different things.

First off, you will soon find out that pouring 20 grains or so of Black Powder into a cartridge is much more expensive than 3 or 4 grains of your favorite Smokeless powder.

Secondly, if you want to keep the powder from forming a hard, difficult to remove fouling in a rifle barrel, you want a bullet that carries enough soft bullet lube to keep the bore coated with soft lube the entire length. When I first started shooting Black Powder with 45 Colt and 44-40 none of the commercial bullets that I tried carried enough soft lube to keep the bore of a rifle lubed the entire length. That is why I started shooting Big Lube bullets. Even designed one myself. No, I do not get any money back from Big Lube, I did it for the fun of it. But I have never found any standard bullets that do as good a job of keeping the bore of a rifle lubed its entire length than the Big Lube series.

Page generated in 0.02433 seconds with 7 queries