View Single Post
Old April 23, 2018, 12:18 PM   #2
Sharkbite

I have had the pleasure of shooting lots of rounds thru Vang-comped guns. Hans does GREAT work. He provided a number of guns to the training facility I used to work at. I bet ive shot well over 1000 rounds of OO buck thru his 590 versions.

Here is my take.

When he started doing the work the “patrol rifle” was unheard of in LE work, but darn near every patrol car had a shotgun in it. Just standard issue 870’s, 500’s, etc. There was always an issue with targets at any distance with standard buckshot. Most patrol officers were looking for a way to extend the distance the cyl bore shotty could keep pellets on tgt.

Enter Hans with an ingenious solution, and it worked good. Now, standard buck was not limited to 25/35 yards. The Vang-comped guns could keep OO buck on a man sized tgt out to about 50. Thats a huge improvement for a LE shooter that need to hit someone across the street or parking lot.

That improvement did not come without a price however. That price is VERY tight patterns at home defense distances. Inside of 10yards the pattern is basically one ragged hole. Thats to say, no appreciable spread at all.

So, better at distance...worse up close.

For a HD/SD shotgun a bit of spread is a good thing. IMHO the optimum pattern would be about 4-5 inches centered on his chest. You can get that with standard buckshot at about 5yards (down a hallway for example). With a Vang-comped gun that pattern doesnt happen until about 25/30 yards (way out side HD distance).

Inside the home with a Vang-comped gun, you might as well be shooting a slug, just no pellet spread to speak of. I think that takes away the benefit of the Shotgun.

As a side note; with the widespread use of the patrol rifle in LE, the shotgun has taken a backseat and almost become a speciality gun.

Page generated in 0.03890 seconds with 8 queries